Sunday, September 13, 2009

I enjoy reading and long walks from the beach...

With a high of fifty and about a 20mph steady wind, we felt it was worthy of going to the beach! Had this exact weather been experienced in Tucson, it would have been a day to stay inside, eat soup, and decide which color to paint the bathroom. In Adak we have learned quickly to embrace any day that does not have rain actually coming up at you.
The beach was beautiful and Isabel had a great time. Then Cassidy and I went home and left Isabel in the care of Mia at the beach with a promise to return shortly with Logan and Sienna (siblings that Cassidy is taking care of a couple days a week).
Return shortly we, infact, did! Everything was as scheduled. What threw a wrench into our otherwise perfectly planned day was some idiot getting the Suburban stuck in the sand upon our return to the beach.
You think about a lot of things during a five mile walk back into town in search of someone that can help get your Daughter, Wife, friend, and two other children back home safely. The first thought that went through my head was, "Would Cassidy just send the divorce papers from Tucson or get it done through the mail?". I thought about how priorities change in an instant. In an attempt to save as much money as possible, Cassidy and I decided to not subscribe to the expensive cell phone service out here. At about mile three I would have spent ten times the monthly amount just to make ONE phone call!!
I also thought about how almost every Beatles song has been annoying to me at one time or another.
When I stopped singing "Love Me Do" for the seventeenth time, I saw Martin. Martin is a young man from St. Paul Island that was all too happy to help me out. He couldn't believe how far I walked without anybody picking me up. I felt a little condescending in reminding Martin that there are only 130 people on the island.
Martin and I got to the beach and he pulled me out in a matter of minutes! We are all home safe and Cassidy even spoke to me. Something about thanking my lucky stars and being just in time before...and then she trailed off and made no sense at all. Something about an accident and not being able to prove something. She gets weird when she has outside too long. Go figure!!

All part of our daily adventures here in Adak!!! Pictures to follow soon.

2 comments:

  1. We were just talking yesterday about why anyone would need a cell phone in Adak, we figured you'd just yell down the street and everyone would hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I can tell you have no hope at all of being a Canadian because you would have figured out a way of getting yourself out of the sand ... no resourcefulness ... nothing like a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete