Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Rodents, Guitar, Work, and Curls

So...a lot has happened since our last post and I am sure we will get to it. However, our thoughts right now are still consumed with the idea of at least one (possibly more) rodents living within the walls of our house. Traps have been set and there have been no official sightings, but we at the Jones house are on the defense equivalent of DEFCON 4. Neither of us having had to deal with this issue before are, well...nervous. I have been assured that they are "more afraid of us than we are of them" (yaddi...yaddi...yadda...) but that is the same thing they say about bears and sharks. You only have to spend an hour on Animal Planet to realize that the bears and sharks...not that afraid. At this point, I am certain that if we have to leave the island prematurely, this will be the cause. Musophobia; We have it.
In an attempt to deal with the insomnia that comes with Musophobia I have begun to teach myself how to play guitar. I am on step two of my program and can, without pause or hesitation, identify all components of a guitar and properly hold a pick (that was the intro and step 1) I smoked through that lesson...my free internet tutorial doesn't speak, but if it did, I like to think he would have said something like, "Mr. Clapton? Is that you?" For the next week I am simply learning finger placement and how to play scales. It is entertaining for me and Cassidy does her best to be supportive. She is very supportive, actually, but the problem is that while I am making noise come out of the wooden box on my lap, she is trying to read. I, of course, have to ask her if my scale sounds good every seventeen seconds. She has read the same six sentences eighty-four times. God Bless her!
Cassidy is in her second complete week of work. She is doing an incredible job and truly enjoys working with Logan. I love seeing her at work and we both think it is great for Isabel to be with Rachel and her daughter, Sienna during that time.
Isabel is becoming quite the little reader. She amazes us every day and we are the ones that think the sun already rises and sets on her adorable little head. She can read and write simple words and well on her way. She loves playing with numbers and letters. We are very excited to see where she will be in September when she starts school. I know, I know, EVERY parent thinks that their kid is the smartest kid in the world and I am here to say that we feel sorry for those parents because ours really is.
Isabel went to bed tonight with curlers in her hair that she has been asking about for weeks. Cassidy put them in and we are probably (who am I kidding? DEFINITELY) more excited to see what her hair looks like than Isabel is. Pictures will assuredly follow.
I think it should be mentioned that Cassidy has become what a like to call a "Kitchen Magician" and shows no signs of slowing her magic. Key Lime Pie to die for. Home made EVERYTHING. Tonight she made Spiced Chicken with Barley that was simply amazing. I don't know who the hell Barley is, but apparently he was in there helping. Thanks, Barls!
Until Next week, let us know if you are reading this, will ya?

7 comments:

  1. I read it and loved it. You need to switch from Defcon 4 to 4 Decons that might help with your phobia. You know some people will pay money to have rats as pets...you could solve your problem and make some cash.

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read it. And I would like to add that while you may THINK you're busy up there, I get quite impatient when you go too long without a new post. Step it up, Tim. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to add: Kayla has those curlers, but refuses to wear them. Seeing Isabel wear them may have convinced her to use them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Cassidy, and Isabel you are some amazing people. I love reading your posts every week and I must say that I too get discourged when one isn't posted. Tim you missed your calling in life, your posts are some of the best and most hilarious things I have ever read. But as you say I guess Adak gives you some pretty fun and interesting things to write about. Good luck with the rats. Anel says hello. Karl

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peanut butter works the best for catching rodents. Not cheese like everyone thinks. Just smear a lttle in the trap and they really have to work to get it. Usually works.But, then again the rats in Adak may have better survival skills.

    ReplyDelete