Sunday, October 11, 2009

New Job, Baking, and New Roads!

My high school basketball coach used to say that luck was just being prepared when opportunities presented themselves. Therefore, theoretically the harder you work, the "luckier" you become. I never really grasped that concept and now that I have a few years and, with that, a little wisdom, I can finally say that he was absolutley full of crap! I am married to the most amazing woman in the world and that is out of sheer luck! I can't remember working for this at all. I just happen to be lucky. And I am fine with that. Sorry, Coach, but it is better to be lucky than good!
I am stressing this point because over the past week, Cassidy been making and selling pies. She is gifted and I am loving it!! Aside from the pies, she is absolutely amazing at every task she undertakes. Whether it be raising Isabel, watching other people's children, or making pies, I am just damn lucky!
Isabel has become quite the adventurer! If the pictures aren't already posted, they will be. We went 'hiking' down to the beach this morning. We had never been to this beach before because it is on the West side of the island. We had never been to the West side of the island because, well...we had no idea there was a road to the West side of the island. God forbid there be a current roadmap provided to anyone around here.
We found the road in the same fashion we have found pretty much everything else around here; went for a drive. We have discovered that all roads either just stop or they lead back to town. So, we just take random roads and see where we go. It's our weekend "see if we can actually get lost" game. Hey! there are worse ways to spend a Saturday, right?
The beach was absolutely breathtaking. We looked down at the beach from about 300 feet. Then it happened...I saw a rope. Why not go down an embankment steep enough that someone felt a rope was required with a four year-old, right? It was actually quite worth it, as the pictures will show. I wouldn't have said that halfway up the hill with Isabel on my shoulders and me trying to remember the last time my heart rate was above 85. But it actually was a lot of fun! Cassidy could not have been prouder than to see her husband dry-heaving like one of the Olsen Twins.
To be honest, I only carried Isabel up one small portion, but that is the reason I am using for my lack of speed (or movement) towards the end.
My new gig at the airport is proving to be quite enjoyable. I didn't think I would be able to fit in the cargo hold of the aircraft. turns out I was right. Good group of people, though. We are hoping to be able to use some flight benefits for Christmas, but there are some variables in there. We'll see.
We had some temporary neighbors for the last four days. They are with the Tsunami/Disaster preparedness program. Cindi is the Educational Outreach Coordinator for the Tsunami Warning Center. A geologist that, as far as geologists go, is about the most layed back woman I have ever met. It was actually interesting to learn about the rock/land formations. I went to a college that has a great geology program and the guys in that program were, for a lack of a better term, dorks. Erv was with her. You wouldn't know it without talking to somebody else that knows Erv really well, but Erv is a stud. He was one of the founding members of the Alaskan Pararescue Unit out of Anchorage. I was a PJ and I am very proud of what I did. I didn't even bring up any stories because all the exciting things I did in six or seven years, Erv did in a weekend. His modesty only amplifies his awesomeness. It was a lot of fun talking to him about mutual acquantances and the job. Erv works for the Homeland Security Disaster Preparedness now(or something like that). Anyway, great to meet him and get a chance to talk with him.
Ofcourse, Casssidy made them a chocolate cream pie when they arrived and they loved it!
OH!!!!!! WE FORGOT TO MENTION THE EARTHQUAKE!! (my wife edits my work and tells me what I forgot to mention)
So...we had an earthquake! It was a 4.7 and it occured at 4:56 am. It sounded like a train going by the house and gave us a little bit of a shake. I woke up immediately and did what any Father and husband would do; sat there. I have never been in an earthquake and was basically "enjoying the ride" in my shock and bewilderment. Cassidy woke up just as it had finished and asked what had just happened in a language that the clergy do not use. Isabel, of course, slept through the whole thing. We are convinced that if the house had been lifted ten feet off the ground and dropped while a marching band played "Bringin' da noise, Bringin' da funk" outside her window, she would still not miss a wink of sleep.
All for now, here's to avoiding disasters and discovering more roads!

2 comments:

  1. never done this blog thing, but giving it a try. i've enjoyed reading your stories. you guys should def write a book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what's the "new job" thing mean? awesome pictures of your latest adventure. wish i could've witnessed that. still eating salmon?

    ReplyDelete