Sunday, October 25, 2009

New Friends. AND...I killed something

So...it happened. We didn't think that it would. Frankly, we had given up hope. It is not that we are bad people. In fact, we feel that we are actually fairly likeable people and have nothing to be ashamed of. Anyway, it happened. We met FRIENDS!
Ti and Rachel are a couple on the island that we have become friends with. Rachel is actually my boss at the airport where I put in, on average, one hour of hard work each and every week. I am actually there for six hours, but four to five of those are sitting around waiting for the plane, so....
Anyway, we made friends! They are really cool and we feel very grateful to have them in our lives right now.
Ti took me hunting (I just have to interrupt this thought to inform you that my wife is currently taking about fifteen pictures of the cats that are curled up together at my feet. Now I ask you, who really wants to see fifteen different angles of the same cats? I am convinced that my beautiful bride is constantly fighting the demons of being THE CRAZY CAT LADY!) SO...Ti took me hunting Thursday after work. We were originally just going to look and see where the herds were moving without leaving the truck. I was wearing brown leather shoes, jeans, a bright blue jacket and a blue baseball cap. I am giving you the wardrobe rundown because one half of one hour after leaving I found myself a half-mile away from the truck climbing a mountain with a rifle in one hand and hypothermia in the other. We reached the top of the mountain (eventually...the climb seemed to be interrupted with thoughts of how they would just leave my body there on the mountain as a symbolic warning to others to be prepared. You know, like they do on Everest.)and I low-crawled into position. I had to get my heart rate below 200 before I felt I could hold the gun still enough to get a decent shot off (which, surprisingly, took quite a while). Bang! I saw it drop and was, frankly, quite surprised. I doubt that I was more surprised than Ti, however, who responded with a "You want to chase 'em or head home? Your feet have got to be cold in those shoes." I told him I think I got him and he grabbed his rifle to look through the scope and said with as much surprise as he possibly could "Holy shit! You did get one! Nice work, man!" (it was, in fact, an awesome shot by the way) So, that night, I learned of the darker side of hunting; hanging carcass in the gargage.
My new hobby has led to Cassidy's new obsession which is shopping for all things meat preparation. My belief is that if she attacks her Masters Program with the even half the tanacity as she has looking for meat grinders, hunting supplies, Caribou recipes, meat storage, and meat processing accessories, she is a shoe-in for Valedictorian. Cassidy could probably (and I am being serious here) give you a run down on every specification of meat grinders and vacuum sealers in the western hemisphere. That includes shipping costs!
I am pretty excited for her because it gives her the opportunity to explore more of her cooking and baking obsessions. This past week has been filled with soups, breads, cakes, apple sauce bars(friggin' delicious!), and a turkey (from our new best friends at Omaha Steaks!!) In addition to Cassidy's cooking skills, she is also incredible at finding the best deals financially. FREE SHIPPING has become our two favorite words!
Cassidy has also become the 'go to' lady for child care (which is no surprise, really).
Gio (short for Giovanni) is a three and a half year-old that will be at our house all this week. He is adorable and his parents are incredibly nice. It will be nice for Isabel to have a playmate around here also!
It snowed!! We know this because our weather girl in-training let Milo out at 6:30 in the morning and then screamed "Mommy Daddy it SNOWED, it SNOOOOWED" repeatedly for about twenty-five minutes. There truly is no greater joy than witnessing a childs pure innocence and wonder. I then did something I have never done in my teaching career. I took the day off! Called in sick! Had a case of the playwithmykiditis!!!! It was everything I thought it would be! Cassidy, Isabel, and I had an incredible time!

That's about it for this week. Brother Brad is on the move getting me a hunting rifle and Cassidy is on the move getting items for meat! This place just keeps getting more and more fascinating! I am now wearing my boots every time I leave the house and feel pretty confident with the big game hunting. Cassidy and I have both come to grips with the fact that free meat that you can shoot is much better than expensive meat that someone else has killed. Plus...FREE SHIPPING!!

4 comments:

  1. might I suggest an ulu knife for the skinning portion...works like magic on elk and buffalo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! Congrats on the caribou! Eric's island wandering ended yesterday, w/o a deer.. or I'd be picking Cassidy's brain on meat processing stuff. I would love to make deer sausage! Mmm...
    Glad you guys are loving it up there. Thanks for keeping us entertained as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go great white hunter. I have to hand it to you ... you have entered the hunting world and shot something within a ... what two hour period? I on the other hand have considered myself a hunter for four years now and well ... I still buy meat SOMEONE ELSE has killed. Alaska sure does something to a man ... maybe Brad and I will have to visit and kill something big and shareable like a moose.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you still be up there next year? Perhaps my dad and I could join you on a hunt? Hope things are going well, Tim.

    Brent

    ReplyDelete