Thursday, March 4, 2010

Cancelled trip, new job, and white-outs

It has been a little bit of delay in getting a new post up on the blog. I wish I had some incredible story. I don't. I have yet to make a penny off these postings, so I have just the desire to share our experiences as my motivation. I am thinking about writing a letter to try and get Stash Tea to sponsor my time in writing this. "When I sit down to write sarcastic, often meaningless, mildly comedic anecdotes to family and friends, I like to enjoy a nice hot cup of Stash Premium Sushi Bar Mild Green Tea." Until that day arrives, however, you are just getting these as they come.
Cassidy and Isabel never got off the island. The plane was cancelled due to weather and I got over my deep seeded fear of actually having to take care of myself for four days. We are all heading into Anchorage next Thursday while I have an in-service for school. Should be a lot of fun. I am sure it will consist of talking about shopping, followed by shopping, and then conclude with lengthy discussions on what was purchased while shopping. I am really looking forward to it. If any woman deserves to have a spree and go crazy with the credit cards, it is my wife. It's not every woman that is willing to go, quite literally, to the end of civilization with her husband.
We had no school on Tuesday. Well, let me rephrase that; we had a school. It is basically in the same spot it has always been. We just had no power to the school and, therefore, told the students to stay home. They took it well, I think. After the initial shock and pleas of "Please, Mr. Bauer! We need to be educated today!" they found the beauty of taking a day off and enjoying not having heat or light for about eight hours. Today we did a preemptive cancellation. I have been in a blizzard before and I thought I understood what the term 'White-out' meant. It is comparable to being in love. Everyone thinks they are in love until they see the person that they ACTUALLY love. I thought I saw a white out until I met Adak. Truly the real deal. I am looking out of the living room window, which normally provides a glimpse into the neighbors living room window about fifty feet away. Today, however, it is as though I am looking into a giant glass of milk. Snowing with sustainable 70 mph winds. If any of you are planning a vacation to the Western Aleutian Islands, I strongly recommend you arrive between April and September.
There is big news!!!! Cassidy received her espresso maker and grinder that she got as a birthday gift. Prior to this machine showing up I drank coffee. Occasionally putting cream in. Now...well...I am married to a barista that makes espresso's, latte's, mochaccino's, and cappuccino's as if there is a line of people waiting for them. I haven't slept in three weeks. I do recommend the Amaretto flavored latte, though. She is extremely happy to have her new appliance and I never tire of seeing her happy. I stay awake now, in what seems to be a permanent caffeine induced state of awareness, thinking about how happy Cassidy is with her birthday present.
A happy wife is a happy life, right?
In other big news I got a new job. For those keeping track at home, this is job #3.
I teach full time, work at the airport on Thursdays and Sundays (weather permitting) and now, I AM AN OFFICIAL BARTENDER AT THE ADAK SPORTS BAR AND GRILL! I have officially crossed off #2 on the list of jobs I want to have before I am too old to work. (#1 is a hockey referee. Might have some problems getting to that one. The new #2 is a commercial fisherman, which may come to fruition this Summer, we'll see).
The tips aren't bad, actually, and the patrons seem very appreciative of my services. Not a bad gig, really.
So, we are just hanging out and enjoying life. Ann, the Physical Therapist that is out here to consult with a couple of students, came over for dinner last night. Great lady. Great visit. I am sure she will be back. Especially since her flight has been cancelled and she is stuck here until at least Sunday. It is truly a conflict for Cassidy and I because we want her to be able to leave and get home to her husband, but we also truly enjoy visiting and getting what we like to call "an outside perspective" of Adak. It is just our little way of gauging whether or not we are losing it out here.
Until Next Week.......

No comments:

Post a Comment